Times Colonist 13 Apr 1927
Evening Wedding at Cathedral was pretty ceremony
Miss Dorothy Gardiner became bride of John Perry of Vancouver last night
Charming in its appointments was the Easter-tide wedding quietly solemnized at Christ Church Cathedral last evening at 9 o’clock, when the Bishop of Columbia united in marriage Miss Dorothy Pauline Gardiner, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles F Gardner of 1013 Fairfield Road to John Perry of Vancouver. The bride is a native daughter of this city and was a popular member of the now defunct “J Unit” Chapter, IODE, which did much valuable work among the latter years of the war and after the armistice.
The bridal part entered the church to strains of the Mendelssohn wedding march, played by the organist Harold Davies. Escorted by her father, she made a winsome picture in her wedding gown of white Georgette with skirt of lace applique, and back panel of pleated Georgette, and on one shoulder a cluster of orange blossom, was caught to the coiffure beneath a cornet of orange blossoms, some of which had been worn by her mother at her wedding. A handsome sunburst brooch of pearls, the gift of her mother, and a shower bouquet of bridal roses and swansonia completed the bridal toilette.
Mrs Rita Dougan, sister of the bride, was the only attendant, smartly gowned in a French beaded gown of wisteria Georgette with becoming hat to match. Mr George Pauline, cousin of the bride, supported the bridegroom and Mr Claude Connorton acted as usher.
After the ceremony, a reception attended by about seventy-five guests was held at the home of the bride’s parents. The young couple stood beneath a bell of lillies of the valley in the drawing room, which was arranged with masses of yellow and white spring flowers, Mrs Gardiner, mother of the bride, received with the bridal party, and was handsomely gowned in toast brown cut velvet, with Kenmare hat of the same shade, and becoming coat of charmeen cloth in desert brown.
The three-tier wedding cake, cut by the bride, centred the supper table in the dining room, where a dainty colour scheme of mauve and pink was carried out with tulips.
Many beautiful gifts were received by the young couple. The bride’s gift to the groom was a gold watch chain; bridegroom to bride, a gold bracelet set with amethysts and pearls; to the matron of honour, a gold bangle; to the best man, gold watch chain, and to the usher, gold cuff links.
Later Mr and Mrs Perry left for a honeymoon trip to Portland, Oregon, the bride travelling in gown of brown and Moselle crepe Madeleine, made by Cheruit of Paris, with a coat of Valencie blue needlepoint, trimmed with natural lynx and becoming little hat en suite. Later they will make their home in Vancouver.
Among the out of town guests at the wedding were Mr and Mrs Stanley Gardiner of Vancouver, and Mrs Chas McAdam of Nanaimo.